Join the Team
Energy Action Coalition is seeking dynamic and passionate people to join our team.
Below are the current opportunities to join Energy Action Coalition central staff and fellows. Check back often as we are frequently adding new positions. Check out the Jobs Board on the right for opportunities with our partners and other organizations.
POWER SHIFT COORDINATOR
LOCATION: Washington, DC
APPLICATION DEADLINE: November 16, 2015
START DATE: ASAP
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Full-time until November 2016
COMPENSATION: Salary is commensurate with experience.
Energy Action Coalition is seeking a smart, ambitious, and experienced Coordinator to manage and coordinate our regional Power Shifts in 2016. The Power Shift Coordinator will have a hand in developing strategy, then driving planning and implementation. We need someone who can project manage the events, and drive the pieces of work forward in a way that is collaborative and focused on results.
ABOUT ENERGY ACTION COALITION
Founded in June 2004 by youth climate leaders, the Energy Action Coalition (EAC) mobilizes the collective power of the millennial generation to stop climate change and create a just, clean energy future and resilient, thriving communities for all. Our work is focused on four strategic areas: campuses, communities, corporate practices, and politics.
POWER SHIFT 2016
The primary objectives for Power Shift 2016 include:
- Provide forums for young people to develop a generational statement, platform, or set of principles that are widely agreed upon. This consensus-building opportunity will allow for our values, policy goals, and vision to be represented nationally. Before and during our regional gatherings, we will wade through policy frameworks, such as a “just transition” for workers, a tax on carbon to fund it, the Principles of Environmental Justice, and more, to draft a transformational text to be released around the country.
- Create a space for strategic planning and youth empowerment through skill-building. Facilitate the convergence of thousands of young people to: exercise our collective power, get training on how to make change at a local level, and develop momentum around the intersectionality and combined voice of our various progressive movements.
- Support and launch new youth-led campaigns. Power Shift affords us the ultimate platform to empower and recruit youth leaders to run progressive campaigns that align with the mission of EAC and other allied partners, while simultaneously giving us a concrete date to launch said campaigns. With 2016 politics looming, it is more important than ever to capture the energy of Power Shift and point it toward on-the-ground work.
- Set the frame around the next political cycle while also supporting grassroots community efforts. Equally focus the mission of Power Shift around electoral politics and grassroots campaigns in our communities, states, and regions.
- Broaden our base by engaging older youth (late 20s/early 30s) and alumni. By intentionally broadening our base, we are bringing a more diverse array of thoughts, opinions, and capacity to the space at Power Shift. Through this, we also make space for mentorship and peer support among seasoned and new youth leaders.
The Power Shift Coordinator will work with the staff team at Energy Action Coalition and our partners on all aspects of the conferences including, but not limited to, fundraising support; timeline and action plan development; programming; communications; and logistics. The primary responsibilities of this position are to work with organizational co-leads at each of the respective regions/states to:
- Steward the agendas from design to approval to implementation
- Support keynote selection, invitations, and booking
- Support the development and selection of panels and workshops
- Develop comprehensive training programs
- Manage off-site events, including venue selection, budget, and logistical details
- Map out and secure all event logistics
- Support organization co-leads on the ground with other needs that may arise
- Experience as a project manager for complex events with multiple stakeholders
- Experience managing large, fast paced conferences
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Interpersonal and team management skills that are focused on inclusive processes, with a lens of justice and equity
- Excellent communication skills for diverse audiences: youth activists, the press, the public, community activists, VIPs, donors, etc
- Experience with grassroots training programs (e.g. Wellstone Action, Ruckus, NOI)
- Enjoy working under pressure, under deadline, and can think quickly on your feet without losing your cool
- Strong judgment
- Multi-issue, systems thinker
- Familiarity with the youth climate movement
- Familiarity with environmental justice issues
- Knowledge of or experience with other progressive movements and social justice issues
- Experience with consensus-based decision-making
Send a resume, cover letter, and references to [email protected]. Please include “Power Shift Coordinator" in your email subject line.
Energy Action Coalition is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to anti-oppression and environmental justice. We believe a diverse, inclusive climate movement is the key to our success and we seek to be proactive in engaging the skills and leadership of people of color, low-income persons, LGBTQ individuals, differently-abled people, and others from a rich mix of backgrounds. People from these backgrounds and communities are strongly encouraged to apply.