Join the Team
Energy Action Coalition is seeking dynamic and passionate people to join our team.
Below are the current opportunities to join Energy Action Coalition central staff and fellows. Check back often as we are frequently adding new positions.
Check out the Jobs Board on the right for opportunities with our partners and other organizations.
LOCATION: Location flexible, Washington, DC preferred
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Rolling until hired
Energy Action Coalition is seeking a new Executive Director to lead and support our coalition to take it's work to the next level! We're looking for someone who is ready to fight for climate justice in the streets, and in the board room, and is ready to mobilize young people to flex their power at the ballot box, and with bold direct actions. You'll work with the 25+ incredible partners of Energy Action Coalition, and a staff team of ten, to continue to build a big, bold and powerful movement that can run and win campaigns that will fundamentally shift the power of our country, and put young people at the center of driving a new clean energy economy.
The Executive Director’s primary duties and responsibilities include:
Driving Strong Campaign Work With Staff and Partners:
- Work with staff team and coalition partners to plan and execute strong grassroots campaign and programs.
- Deliver the coalition’s campaign messages throughout the media, as a spokesperson and writer.
- Manage the evaluation and debrief of all aspects of EAC campaigns, project, and communications to ensure we’re constantly learning and improving.
- Ensure all campaign work continues to advance Energy Action Coalition’s core Mission and Theory of Change.
Coalition and Community Relations:
- Works with coalition and allied organizations to build a diverse grassroots youth climate coalition.
- Manages internal communication processes including periodic written and/or verbal updates to all staff and Coalition partners about campaigns and changes to policies and structures.
- Oversees an annual re-granting process where partners receive funding from the Energy Action Coalition for strategic coordinated efforts.
Staff Management and Human Resources:
- Coordinates a fast-paced, nimble team that includes campaign, communications, partnership and operations staff.
- Works with the Senior Management Team to create a dynamic, collegial, inclusive organizational and workplace culture grounded in respect and personal and organizational development.
- Chairs regular Senior Management Team meetings, provides team leadership, support, and feedback to the Senior Management Team members.
- Ensures that hiring, staff evaluations, and terminations align with organizational policy and conform to current laws and regulations.
Anti-Oppression, Environmental Justice, Diversity, and Inclusion:
- Advances the work of Energy Action Coalition’s commitment to anti-oppression, environmental justice, diversity, and inclusion within the staff team and broader coalition space.
- Helps develop ongoing educational opportunities for staff and coalition partners.
- Works with staff and coalition partners to ensure that campaigns and programs actively integrate a systemic analysis of race and class into their development, implementation and evaluation.
- Helps create and maintain a climate that attracts, retains, and motivates a diverse staff of top talent.
- Ensures that Energy Action Coalition is growing our donor base through both grant-based and grassroots fundraising.
- Builds relationships and communicates with donors on behalf of Energy Action Coalition.
- Works with staff on drafting and submitting funding proposals and oversees grant documentation and administration.
- Demonstrates leadership in promoting and maintaining the public profile of Energy Action Coalition by representing the organization with the general public, youth base, media, government, and other organizations.
- Represents Energy Action Coalition to national print, online, radio, and television media outlets.
- Writes for publication in online and print media.
Financial and Legal Management:
- Ensures that EAC is fiscally sound and manages both financial and legal risks to the organization.
- Works closely with operations and Board on annual and long term financial planning, quarterly/annual fiscal statements, budget tracking, and fundraising.
- Ensures that the organization meets all its legal obligations. Liaises with legal corporate related to various legal matters.
Policy and Political Liaison:
- Represents the youth climate movement to key political figures and government offices.
- Works with the staff and coalition partners to run campaigns that pressure key political figures to act on climate.
- Provides political updates for staff team and coalition partners.
Board of Directors Support:
- Directs, oversees and ensures implementation of Energy Action Coalition partners and Boards’ directives and the reporting of work of all departments to the partners and Board, including regular liaison with the Chairs of the Board.
The Executive Director reports to and is managed by the Coalition’s Board of Directors.
Energy Action Coalition is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to anti-oppression and environmental justice. We believe a diverse, inclusive climate movement is the key to our success and we seek to be proactive in engaging the skills and leadership of people of color, low-income persons, LGBTQ individuals, differently-abled people, and others from a rich mix of backgrounds. People from these backgrounds and communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume, and references to [email protected]. No calls, please.
LOCATION: Washington, DC or flexible if able and willing to travel to DC regularly
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Rolling until hired
POTENTIAL START DATE: January 13, 2015 or as soon as possible
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Full-time
COMPENSATION: Salary is commensurate on experience
Energy Action Coalition is seeking a smart, ambitious and experienced Online Director to lead Energy Action Coalition’s and Power Shift’s online strategy and operations. The Online Director will be charged with growing and maintaining Energy Action Coalitions’s online program to support the youth climate movement, our partners, and our campaigns and projects like Power Shift and the WeArePowerShift.org online community. We’re looking for someone who has the strategic insight to drive outcome-oriented and hard-hitting campaigns, build and manage online infrastructure, and the experience and commitment to support grassroots organizations and volunteers in building long-term power towards change.
ABOUT ENERGY ACTION COALITION
Energy Action Coalition is a coalition of 25 youth-led social and environmental justice organizations building a generation-wide movement to take on the climate crisis, and fight for environmental justice. We host the national Power Shift summits, the WeArePowerShift.org online community, and support youth leadership on climate and energy.
Drive Online Strategy
- Work with our staff and partners to plan and implement online strategies that support our organizational goals and campaign work
- Lead the growth and improvement of our online performance through data-driven iteration and best practices
- Train, brief and engage our staff, coalition partners and grassroots leaders on the best practices and new innovations in online organizing
Oversee Web Development & Maintenance
- Maintain and develop all Energy Action Coalition websites, including WeArePowerShift.org and including day-to-day updates and bug-fixing
- Plan and execute major upgrades with support of partners and outside vendors
- Support management of mission critical web, data and technology systems
Support Online Communications & Advocacy
- Implement email blast and online action strategy to drive key campaigns, expanding the influence and reach of the movement
- Work with grassroots leaders to build and grow leadership within the WeArePowerShift.org online community
- Support social media engagement
- 3-5 years of experience in online organizing
- Experience building and maintaining websites, particularly in Drupal
- Experience working with diverse constituencies, including grassroots activist organizations, young people, and People of Color
- Strong overall technical skills and the ability to quickly learn new platforms
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Familiarity with online advocacy tools and CRM systems such as Salsa or ActionKit
- Enjoy working under pressure, problem solving, and figuring out how to get things done
- Grassroots organizing experience with a climate, issue-based or electoral campaign
- Experience designing and supporting user-led online campaigns
- Data management experience, particularly using VAN
Send a resume and cover letter to [email protected]. Please include “Online Director” in your email subject line.
Energy Action Coalition is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to engaging the skills and leadership of people of color, low-income persons, LGBT persons, differently-abled people, and other people from diverse backgrounds. People from these and other historically marginalized backgrounds and communities are strongly encouraged to apply.